KNOXVILLE, IOWA (April 17, 2003) - Defending National 410 Sprint Car Poll “Driver of the Year” Steve Kinser of Bloomington, Indiana, has retained his number one ranking in the country, according to the spring edition of the seasonal poll. Kinser claimed 23 of 28 first place votes cast by the select panel of sprint car racing’s manufacturers, media members, sanctioning officials and promoters. Kinser wheels his own Quaker State-sponsored Maxim sprint car in the O’Reilly Auto Parts World of Outlaws (WoO) Series and has seven wins to his credit already in the 2003 racing season.
Ranked second in the poll is Danny Lasoski of Higginsville, Missouri, having collected the five remaining first place ballots cast by the voting panel. Lasoski, runner-up to Kinser in the WoO point standings, also claimed the All Star Circuit of Champions (ASCoC) East Bay Winternationals in Florida in February. Those drivers ranked third through fifth, respectively, are Craig Dollansky of Minnesota, Tim Shaffer of western Pennsylvania, and Mark Kinser of Indiana. Rounding out the ‘top ten’ are ASCoC) point leader Chad Kemenah, Jeff Shepard, Jac Haudenschild, central Pennsylvania hot-shoe Lance Dewease and Golden State Challenge runner-up Tim Kaeding, respectively.
Steve Kinser will receive his 2002 National 410 Sprint Car Poll awards this Saturday night, April 19, at the WoO show at Earl Baltes’ Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio. Writer Dave Argabright will present Steve Kinser with his “Driver of the Year” award from last season, as well as the “Team of the Year” award. Kinser will share those team honors with chief mechanic Scott Gerkin and his entire 2002 pit crew. In addition, driver Kasey Kahne will receive his “Wild Card Award” for exciting sprint car performances in 2002, and Hoosier Racing Tire representative Neil Cowman will accept Bob Newton’s “Builder/Manufacturer of the Year” award at Eldora.
The National 410 Sprint Car Poll is an annual awards program of the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame & Museum Foundation, Inc., of Knoxville, Iowa.
Spring 2003 National 410 Sprint Car Poll
- 1., Steve Kinser (23), Bloomington, IN, 2500 points
- 2., Danny Lasoski (5), Higginsville, MO, 1715
- 3., Craig Dollansky, Elk River, MN, 933
- 4., Tim Shaffer, Aliquippa, PA, 623
- 5., Mark Kinser, Oolitic, IN, 377
- 6., Chad Kemenah, Fremont, OH, 357
- 7., Jeff Shepard, Upperco, MD, 304
- 8., Jac Haudenschild, Wooster, OH, 301
- 9., Lance Dewease, Fayetteville, PA, 285
- 10., Tim Kaeding, Campbell, CA, 253
- 11., Daryn Pittman, Owasso, OK, 245
- 12., Donny Schatz, Fargo, ND, 205
- 13., Tyler Walker, Santa Clarita, CA, 191
- 14., Joey Saldana, Brownsburg, IN, 178
- 15., Greg Hodnett, Memphis, TN, 177
- 16., Jason Johnson, Eunice, LA, 95
- 17., Shane Stewart, Bixby, OK, 81
- 18., Cris Eash, Woodbine, MD, 70
- 19., Fred Rahmer, Salfordville, PA, 54
- 20., Paul McMahan, Oroville, CA, 50
- 21., Jason Sides, Ellendale, TN, 44
- 22., Johnny Herrera, Higley, AZ, 39
- 23., Greg Wilson, Benton Ridge, OH, 33
- 24., Brent Kaeding, Campbell, CA, 31
- 25., Sammy Swindell, Germantown, TN,
Also receiving multiple votes: Brad Furr, Randy Hannagan, Dean Jacobs, Kenny Jacobs, Kraig Kinser, Terry McCarl, Gary Wright.