- Al Unser wins his 3rd straight Hoosier Hundred.
He also won the Springfield, IL. mile race.
- A.J. Foyt is the USAC Champ Dirt Car Champion.
- Sammy Sessions is the USAC Sprint Car Champion.
- Jan Opperman recorded his 2nd straight Western
World Championship win. Opperman won 44 features in 1972.
- Kenny Weld won the National Open at Williams
Grove for the 2nd year in a row, while winning the Knoxville Nationals for
a 3rd time.
The main even is ready to
start at San Jose Speedway (From the Dolan Lannan collection courtesy Jerry
and Marcia Phillips.)
- Howard Kaeding wins his 3rd straight NASCAR
Super Modified California State Championship.
races inside Howard Kaeding in this vintage shot! (Courtesy Jimmy Patterson)
Dewayne Woodward in 1972.
He was Clovis and Madera, CA. super modified champion. (Scanned from Golden
State Classic program 1972)
- DeWayne Woodward is Track Champ at both Clovis
Speedway (dirt), and Madera Raceway (pavement).
- Consistency earns Lonnie Jensen the Knoxville
- Tom Bigelow and A.J. Foyt spilt two USAC
Dirt Champ races at DuQuoin, IL.
- Pancho Carter is USAC National Midget Champ.
- Tony Simon Takes Turkey Night at ASCOT
- Mike Wasina
is Capital Speedway Super Modified champion.
- Mike McCreary wins his 2nd NARC sprint car
- Nick Rescino is San Jose Speedway Track Champ
with 22 Fast Times.
- Tommy Astone is USAC Midget Rookie of the
- West Capital Raceway. aka, "Capitol
Speedway" runs on the 1/2 mile for the final time before racing exclusively
on the 1/4. Billy Anderson (below) went
into the history books with the track record for the 1/2.
L to R: Johnny Anderson, Billy Anderson
and a four year old HammerDownUSA.com Editor Bobby Gerould play sizzlers
in 1972. Seems the Anderson boys had a few "pops" after the
Saturday night races. They showed up at the Gerould house in uniform,
and grabbed Bobby's "helmets".
- Larry Burton
wins the Gold Cup.
- Gene Brown of Phoenix, AZ. is the Pacific
Coast Open winner at ASCOT.
- Earl Wagner leads Knoxville feature winners,
- Jerry Blundy is hurt in Webster City, misses
- Roger Rager wins Knoxville season-opener,
- The Original Dirt Cup is a 3 race series.
3 Days, 3 tracks. Ross Fontes is overall points champ.