Swindell wins the World of Outlaws Championship,
the Eldora Nationals, and the Syracuse Mile. The Mile paid over $19,000
- Lynn Paxton won the National Open at Williams
- Sheldon Kinser wins his 3rd USAC Sprint Car
- Hank Butcher wins his 100th midget feature.
- Ken Schrader is the USAC Silver Crown champion.
- Ron Shuman wins his 4th consecutive Turkey
Night Midget Grand Prix, and snags 4 Crown Nationals - Silver Crown at Eldora.
Back in 1982, the Gambler "house car"
was a premier ride on the National sprint car scene. Indiana's Danny Smith
was the shoe in this photo. (HammerDown! Collection)
James Patterson sent us this
picture of his late father Gary at his final Knoxville Nationals in 1982.
- Doug Wolfgang
wins Knoxville season opener, sanctioned by WoO.
- Kevin Olson is USAC Midget champ.
- Cecil Walker is the Skagit Speedway Sprint
- Bobby Davis Jr. becomes youngest driver to
win a WoO feature, at age 18. The win came at Devils Bowl.
- Gary Bettenhausen wins his 3rd DuQuoin 100.
- Chuck Gurney wins Hoosier Hundred.
- Brad Doty is the World of Outlaws Rookie
of the Year.
- Rick Hood is Hulman 100 winner.
- Kenny Schrader wins the All-Star season opener
at Haubstadt, IN.
- Springfield runs twice: Larry Dickson, and
Bobby Olivero are USAC Silver Crown winners.
- Keith Kauffman is USAC Silver Crown Rookie
of the Year.
- Joe Hill is Placerville
Speedway (CA.) sprint car champion.
- Billy Boat is a sprint car rookie.
- Kevin Pylant
starts in Street Stocks.
- Bobby McMahan is Placerville Speedway Rookieof
- The racetrack in Dixon, CA. known as the
Dixon May Fair 3/8's ran it's last race.
Congratulations to Jimmy Sills who will
be inducted into the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame this June. The photo
is from 1982.