the Knoxville Nationals and the 4th annual Western World at Manzanita.
- George Snider is USAC "Dirt-Car"
titlest, winning at DuQuoin, IL.
- Kenny Weld won the National
Open at Williams Grove.
- Gary Bettenhausen is USAC
National sprint car champion.
- Hank Butcher Claims BCRA
Midget Driving Title.
- Howard Kaeding is NASCAR
Super Modified Champ of California for 2nd year in a row.
- Mike Wasina wins the Gold
Cup, and the Capital Speedway Championship.
- Billy Anderson is the champion
- Al Unser wins the Hoosier
- Danny Caruthers is USAC National
this 1971 shot, the USAC midgets are racing in a 100 lapper at Capital
Speedway, in West Sacramento, CA. #69 is Rick Davidson, #85 is Terry Caves,
and the #95 is wheeled by Hank Butcher. (Larry Wood Photo)
- Ray Lee Goodwin is Knoxville
Raceway Track Champ.
- Bill Englehart wins Turkey
- The "Golden State Classic"
series at season's end produces four great races, won by Bill Scott (San
Jose), Howard Kaeding (Lakeport), Johnny Brazil (Stockton 99), and Howard
Kaeding (San Jose). Scott is the Champ of the Series.
- A.J. Foyt wins the Springfield,
IL. mile track, USAC Dirt-Car race.
- Tony Stewart is born.