Swindell is the World of Outlaws driving champion.
Sammy won a remarkable, 41 features at tracks all over the U.S.
- The Knoxville Nationals are non-wing for
the last time. Steve Kinser wins, Kenny Schrader is 12th.
- Steve Kinser
wins the Silver Crown, and sprint car portions of the first ever, "4
Crown Nationals" at Eldora. Kinser also captured the first ever "Hulman
100" for Silver Crown cars. Kinser won 44 features in 1981.
- Ron Shuman wins his 3rd Western World at
Manzanita, as well as his 3rd Turkey Night in a row..
- LeRoy Van Conett
wins his 7th NARC championship for car-owner Chris Zootis (#6)
- Sheldon Kinser scores his 2nd USAC Sprint
Car driving title.
- Sammy Swindell
wins the Gold Cup, and the Baylands WoO finale in the Nance #1n.
A 28 year-old, Jimmy Sills
accepts Trophy Dash honors.
- Doug Wolfgang wins the Syracuse Mile
- Lealand McSpadden Takes the Dirt Cup.
- Jack Hewitt is named USAC Silver Crown, Rookie
of the Year.
- Tim Green is the Knoxville Raceway Track
- Barry Camp is Selinsgrove Speedway Champion.
- Brad Doty wins the All-Star season opener
- Rich Vogler wins DuQuoin, IL. USAC Silver