Tribute to Gary Patterson is Clean Sweep for Meyers - By Bobby Gerould - 05/26/02 - Calistoga, CA. ...23 year-old, Jason Meyers, of Clovis California, set quick time, won his heat, and won the feature from the eighth starting spot Sunday night at Calistoga Speedway. The Tribute to Gary Patterson, 25-lap A-feature sanctioned by the Golden State Challenge, was entertaining, with Meyers taking the lead from Tim Kaeding in the late going. Kaeding wound up as runner-up for the second night in a row, with 5-time Calistoga track champ, Steve Kent coming home third. Brent Kaeding beat Sammy Swindell to round out the stout top-five.
After losing three machines from the previous night, only 18 cars were on hand for the traditional Memorial Day Weekend date. However, a crowd of an estimated 2,000, witnessed spectacular racing in the main event. Meyers' hard-charging style, and deep corner entries, had race fans gasping with every slide job. Without hesitation, Meyers lifted his Maxim/Kistler around the half-mile, slicing and dicing through traffic like a "vegematic". The showdown between Meyers, and Tim Kaeding only materialized after Tim had chased down and passed Kent, who set the early pace. With Tim Kaeding looking for his first win ever at the historic speed plant, Meyers started to reel him, as the two raced hard with the tail-enders they were lapping. When Kaeding had to check up entering turn one, to avoid a slower car, his momentum briefly stalled, allowing Meyers to close quickly. Meyers, who was on a hard compound Hoosier 55, seemingly was getting faster every lap. He powered past Tim and drove away for his third career win at Calistoga.
The Golden State Challenge will attack the Tulare Thunderbowl on Saturday, June 1st. Car owner, Dennis Roth will once again have Swindell behind the wheel of the #83Jr., marking Sammy's first visit to Tulare.
- Quick-Time: Jason Meyers 16.929
- First Heat: 1. Meyers, 2. Steve Kent, 3. Jason Statler, 4. Toni Lutar, 5. Peter Murphy, 6. Garrett Ishii
- Second Heat: 1. Tim Kaeding, 2. Brian Coelho, 3. Sammy Swindell, 4. Craig Stidham, 5. Kevin Pylant, 6. Kurt Nelson
- Third Heat: 1. Eric Rossi, 2. Tommy Tarlton, 3. Brent Kaeding, 4. Jason York, 5. Jim Skinner, 6. Dennis Binstock
- B-Main: 1. Murphy, 2. Ishii, 3. Skinner, 4. Pylant, 5. Nelson, 6. Binstock
- A-Main 25 laps: 1. Meyers, 2. T. Kaeding, 3. Kent, 4. B. Kaeding, 5. Swindell, 6. Stidham, 7. Rossi, 8. Statler, 9. Lutar, 10. Pylant, 11. Tarlton, 12. Coelho, 13. Skinner, 14. York, 15. Ishii, 16. Nelson, 17. Murphy, 18. Binstock.