World of Outlaws 25th Anniversary
Las Vegas Motor Speedway
TONIGHT! Saturday, March 2, 2002. Race #5.
We are receiving live reports via cell phone from Steve Gomez, and Mike Zieske. We will post news and results as soon as we get the call.
Mike Z. reports at 9:18 PM
- A-Main RESULTS - (up to 12th) 1. S. Kinser, 2. Saldana, 3. Mark Kinser, 4. Stevie Smith, 5. Danny Lasoski, 6. Johnny Herrera 7. Schatz, 8. Meyers, 9. Shaffer, 10. Dollansky, 11. Sammy Swindell, 12. Paulis
- No yellows after lap 11.
- Sammy charged back to 11th.
- Good racing!
- Major slide jobs. Better race than last night. Track was fast and racey.
- Off to Casinos - up at 8 AM for NASCAR action.
Steve reports at 9:15 PM
- A-Main results: 1. S. Kinser, 2. Saldana, 3. Mark Kinser, 4. Stevie Smith, 5. Danny Lasoski, 6. Johnny Herrera
Mike Z reports at 9:08 PM
- A-Main Running
- Under Yellow - Lap 11.
- Sammy Swindell running 2nd has a flat left front. Pulled in to change, and is coming back out now.
- Steve slid Sammy for the lead - Mike Z. says, "Sick race."
- Steve and Sammy pulled away.
- Running Order: with 11 down, 19 to go: 1. S. Kinser, (3 lapped cars) - 2. Joey Saldana, 3. Mark Kinser, 4. Stevie Smith, 5. Tim Shaffer, 6. Johnny Herrera, 7. Jason Meyers, 8. Lasoski, 9. Haudenschild, 10. Schatz, 11. Dollansky
Steve reports at 9:01
- A-Main Running
- RED Flag lap 11 - Pittman flipped running 7th on lap 11. He is okay.
- Steve passed Sammy and drove away. Good race from 3rd to sixth.
- Tim Shaffer looks strong.
- Sammy has a flat Left Front.
- Danny Lasoski has fallen to back of pack.
Mike Z. reports at 8:54 PM
- More on the B-Main...
- Lawrence Edlund was 4th.,
- Stephen Allard was 5th - did not transfer.
- Lutar was leading B-main when #47 spun in front of him and he (Lutar) tipped over. Lutar pushed off and restarted but pulled into pits.
- A-Main is lining up
- Temperature is now 43* at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
- LVMS has produced surprise winners in past races. Last year, Danny Wood won from 17th starting position on a prelim night.
- In 1997, Jeff Swindell came through the B-main to win the A-main at LVMS.
Steve reports at 8:38 PM:
- B-Main results: 1. Logan, 2. Faria, 3. Tarlton
- Six minutes until A-main pushes off.
Mike Z. reports at 8:15 PM:
- Dash results - 1. Swindell, 2. S. Kinser, 3. M. Kinser, 4. Saldana, 5. Pittman, 6. Herrera. ...14.033 -
- During the dash, Sammy turned the 2nd fastest lap ever run at LVMS, a 14.033.
- Sammy says, "I stepped into a pretty potent Beef Packers car. I just added some direction".
Mike Z. reports at 8:00 PM:
- Heat Results:
- Heat 1 - 1. Joey Saldana 2. Tim Shaffer, 3. Donny Schatz, 4. Randy Hannagan, 5. Jaime Barnes, 6. Toni Lutar
- Heat 2. - 1. Johnny Herrera, 2. Jac Haudenschild, 3. Danny Lasoski, 4. Troy Murphy, 5. Tommy Tarlton
- Heat 3. - 1. Brad Furr, 2. Steve Smith, 3. Craig Dollansky, 4. Calvis Landis, 5. Mike Faria, 6. Jimmy Carter. (Furr ran a 14.0 second lap in his heat, which is not far from the Vegas track record)
- Heat 4 - 1. Jason Meyers 2. Danny Wood, 3. Brian Paulis, 4. Brian Coelho, 5. Ricky Logan, 6. Patrick Bourke
- Uneventful heats. Narrow, follow the leader, track so far. Really fast.
- Not as cold becuase the wind isn't as bad.
- Herrera and Saldana are the two to join the dash.
- According to weather.com, the current temperature at Nellis Air Force Base is 46*. Nellis is directly adjacent to the track.
Steve reports at 7:18 PM
- Tonights's Format: 4 heats - Heats are lined up by points from the first two preliminary nights of racing. Top four finishers in each heat transfer to the A-Main. The top four drivers in points from the first two nights do not have to run a heat. Those drivers are:
- 1. #83jr. Sammy Swindell
- 2. #11 Steve Kinser
- 3. #5m Mark Kinser
- 4. #21 Daryn Pittman
- The dash will feature the top four drivers listed above, plus the next two highest point guys that make it through their heats.
- Steve can see cars leaving still from the Busch race.
- Once again it is cold.
- Hot Laps are finished. Heats are getting ready to start.
- The front chute grandstand is full and turn 4 bleachers are packed as well. The only place left to sit is on the back chute pit grandstands.
Back to HammerDownUSA.com FRONT PAGE