World of Outlaws 25th Anniversary
Perris Auto Speedway, Lake Perris, CA.
TONIGHT! Saturday, February 23, 2002. Race #2.
We are receiving live reports via cell phone from our main man, Steve Gomez. We will post news and results as soon as we get the call.
A FEATURE Finish: 30 Laps 1. Daryn Pittman. 2. Steve Kinser. 3. Sammy Swindell. 4. Donny Schatz. 5. Mark Kinser. 6. Danny Lasoski. 7. Brad Furr. 8. Craig Dollansky. 9. Stevie Smith. 10. Randy Hannagan. 11. Jason Meyers. 12. Tim Shaffer. 13. Terry McCarl. 14. Danny Wood. 15. Brian Paulus. 16. Joey Saldana. 17. Jayme Barnes. 18. Mike Faria. 19. Toni Lutar. 20. Jim Carter. 21. Tommy Tarlton. 22. Jac Haudenschild. 23. Andy Forsberg. 24. Peter Murphy. (Thanks to Greg Stephens)
Steve reports at 10:00 PM
A-Main is Over - Pittman won by about an inch over S. Kinser! Steve Gomez didn't know who won. It was that close. Fans had to wait for an annoucement of the winner over the P.A. system.
1. Pittman, 2. Steve Kinser, 3. Swindell
- Sammy and Steve had a good slide job battle for 2nd on all restarts. S. Kinser ran down Pittman in traffic when Pittman was stuck behind Carter.
- Hannagan 10th
- Smith was 9th
- Full results to follow soon.
Steve reports at 9:40 PM
- Caution Lap 8: - Pittman was leading when he biked, and hit wall. He was able to keep going. At the same time, Joey Saldana broke in turn one (something in front end). That saved Pittman as the Yellow came out for Saldana.
- Saldana went on hook to pits. He just returned.
- Running Order with 8 complete. 1. Pittman, 2. S. Kinser, 3. M. Kinser, 4. Swindell, 5. Haudenschild, 6. Schatz.
- Pole sitter for the A-Main is Daryn Pittman. The 23 year old from Owasso Oklahoma was the 2001 WoO Gumout series champ. He is driving the Woodburn Motorsports #21 that was wheeled by Danny Wood last season.
- Steve Kinser has never won a WoO A-Main at Perris. WOW! ...Not too many tracks you can say that about.
Steve reports at 8:33 PM
- 1st dash results - 1. Pittman, 2. Swindell, 3. McCarl, 4. Lasoski, 5. Meyers, 6. Shaffer, 7. Dollanksy, 8. Hannagan.
- 2nd dash results - 1. S. Kinser, 2. M. Kinser, 3. Saldana, 4. Haudenschild, 5. Furr, 6. Schatz, 7. Smith, 8. Wood.
- Sammy Swindell has shirts with him in the 83jr.
- B-Main results - 1. Tarlton, 2. Faria, 3. Lutar, 4. Jaime Barnes, 5. Murphy, 6. Forsberg. (Top Six transfered)
- $800 to start the A-Main.
- WoO A-Main is staging.
- Next Up for WoO is the Silver State Shootout at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Feb. 28, March 1 & 2.
Steve reports at 7:40 PM
- Heat races are done
- 1st heat results 1. Schatz, 2. Hannagan, 3. Furr, 4. Haudenschild, 5. Pittman, 6. Lasoski, 7. Lutar, 8. Tarlton (They finished the way they started)
- 2nd heat results 1. Wood, 2. M. Kinser, 3. Swindell, 4. Paulis, 5. Saldana, 6. McCarl (Mike Faria finished 8th)
- 3rd heat results 1. Jason Meyers, 2. Dollansky, 3. Smith, 4. Carter, 5. Shaffer, 6. S. Kinser, 7. Murphy, 8. Ernest McAfee
- Uneventful heat races. Steve felt the drivers were content to "just transfer".
- The Dash LineUps are set. Polesitters will be Mark Kinser & Daryn Pittman.
- Track is narrow. No dust.
- The World of Outlaws did not race at Perris in 2001 due to bad weather and scheduling problems.
- The most recent WoO race at Perris was won by Lasoski, Feb. 26th, 2000.
- Mark Kinser is the only driver to win more than one A-Main at Perris. He won the first 5 WoO events at the "PAS", spanning 1996-98.
- Mark timed-in 8th quick. With a 4 pill drawn, Mark is set up for a front row dash berth if he transfers through his heat. Considering the invert 6, take 6, that shouldn't be an issue for the Mopar team.
Steve reports at 6:43 PM
- They are only going to run 3 heats. Invert six in the heats, take top six finishers to A-Main.
- Lasoski pulled a 4 pill for the dash inversions. Two dashes are being run this year.
- #20 Danny Lasoski
- #17 Joey Saldana
- # 83 Tim Shaffer,
- # 5 Jac Haudenschild
- #24 Terry McCarl
- #11 Steve Kinser
- #21 Daryn Pittman
- # 5M Mark Kinser
- #7 Craig Dollansky
- #2f Brad Furr
- #83jr Sammy Swindell
- #11h Tim Shaffer
- #1x Randy Hannagan
- #6 Danny Wood
- #14 Jason Meyers
- #15 Donny Schatz
- #28 Brian Paulis
- #14c Jimmy Carter
- #4x Toni Lutar
- Tommy Tarlton was 21st quick.
- Andy Forsberg was 22nd quick.
- Peter Murphy came out last, but still had motor probelms.
- Track was faster early. Lasoski was 2nd car out.
- The micro deals might be mini sprints. They are running 4 heats.
- Hanford to Perris Drive was 3 hours.
- HUGE crowd! People still coming in.
Steve reports at 6:11 PM
- Half-way through qualifying.
- Danny Lasoski has set a new track record for Perris.
- 27 cars on hand.
- Peter Murphy had to change motors after hot laps.
- 2nd quick so far is Joey Saldana, 3rd quick is Jac Haudenschild, 4th quick is Terry McCarl. Qualifying is still going on.
- Weather at Perris, CA. as of 5:30 Pacific time. Partly Cloudy 70°F Wind: From the Northwest at 10 mph
- Dew Point: 43°F
- Humidity: 38 %
- Visibility: Unlimited
- Barometer: 29.91 inches and rising
Steve reports at 5:05 PM
- Track packing is just starting.
- Admission tonight was $38. Micro Midgets are sharing the racing card with the WoO sprinters.
- The weather is typical of SoCal. 70* and sunny. Fans are wearing shorts and t-shirts.
HammerDown! Staff notes:
- Perris Auto Speedway is located in Southern California. The track is not too far from the Ontario, CA. airport. The half-mile dirt track is one of the finest racing facilities on the World of Outlaws schedule. Fans enjoy the booming P.A. system, and excellent lighting.
- The "PAS", as it's known, is the home track for the SCRA wingless sprint cars.
Back to HammerDownUSA.com FRONT PAGE