SCRA Season Opener / Perris Auto Speedway / TODAY, Saturday, February 9, 2002.
We are receiving live reports via cell phone from BF & Steve-O. We will post news and results as soon as we get the call.
BF Reports at 12:49 PST.
45 cars on hand. Hot laps are done and the track is "harder than Chinese Arithmetic".
All the SCRA top guns are in the house, with visitors, Andy Forsberg, Damion Gardner, Cary Faas, J.J. Yeley, Levi Jones. and Tony Elliott.
Qualifying is just starting. The sun is warm, skies are clear, and the wind is blowing hard. BF estimates the temperature is in the high 60's. The grandstand is two-thirds full.
BF Reports at 1:59 PM
Qualifying is over. SCRA Champ, Cory Kruseman was the first car out and is in the C-Main. The track took rubber 15 cars into qualifying. The fastest five are listed below.
Troy Rutherford had quick-time. Levi Jones from Indiana was a strong fourth quick.
- Troy Rutherford
- Tony Jones
- J.J. Yeley
- Levi Jones
- Cary Faas
The C-Main is loaded because of the good guys that drew early numbers in time-trials. The Pole of C belongs to Rickie Gaunt. Also in the C-Race are Forsberg, Steve Ostling, Jordan Hermansader, Kruseman, and Mike Kirby. Take 4 to back of heats.
Steve-O Reports at 2:32 PM
Ben Astenious flipped in qualifying. The steering wheel came off going into turn one. He was transported to local hospital, but was alert, and conscious. His crash was described by Steve-O as "carnage".
1. Rickie Gaunt. 2. Ostling, 3. Kruseman, 4. Kirby, 5. Hermansader, 6. Mel Murphy,7. Forsberg. (top four moved to back of heats)
BF Reports at 3:05 PM
1st Heat results: 1. Richard Griffin, 2. Rutherford (from 8th), 3. D. Gardner, 4. Charles Davis Jr.
There was a crash on last lap in transfer battle (Mike Spencer, Jarrett Chaney, Gaunt). All drivers okay. Mark Nation upside down, was okay.
2nd Heat results: 1. Tony Jones, 2. Rip Williams, 3. Tony Elliott, 4. Mike English (last corner pass).
Steve-O Reports at 3:24 PM
3rd Heat - Red Flag on start. Adam Mitchell who started 4th rips a couple of snap rolls. Driver is okay. Steve-O says "Tony Jones was super strong in second heat".
- Mike Faria, and Rick Hendrix are in the pits without rides.
- The new paint on Rickie Gaunt #4 looks sweet!
- Rip Williams chassis is painted yellow.
- Track is so hard, it is lighting up tires.
#192 Andy Forsberg did not transfer from the C. He got a bad start. Andy is a racer for making the tow!
Results: 1. J.J. Yeley, 2. Tony Smiley, 3. Michael Henrichsen, 4. John Scott 5. Kruseman, 6. Sheridan, 7. Greg Taylor, 8. Verne Sweeney. (Yeley checked out, won by a straightaway, Kruseman's 5th puts him in the B-main).
BF Reports at 3:41 PM
4th Heat Results: 1. Rodney Argo, 2. Bobby Cody (rookie), 3. Levi Jones (from 8th), 4. Jeremy Sherman.
- Tony Jones is in Bubby's #87 Avenger.
- Main event has been shortened to 25 laps due to excessive tire wear.
- Cary Faas' car looks good!
- Cory Kruseman changed his number from #45 to #1. The SCRA Champion deserves the right to wear #1.
- BF's five favorites for the A-Main. "Tony Jones, Tony Jones, Tony Jones, Tony Jones, and Tony Jones. If he keeps a tire under him. He will win."
BF Reports at 3:59 PM
Dash Results: 1. Tony Elliott, 2. Charles Davis Jr, 3. J.J. Yeley, 4. Mike English, 5. Troy Rutherford, 6. Tony Jones, 7. Levi Jones 8. Jeremy Sherman
BF Reports at 4:17 PM
B-Main Results: - 1. Cary Faas (from the pole), 2. Bobby Graham, 3, Danny Sheridan, 4. Mike Kirby (from 17th), 5. Cory Kruseman (from 16th), 6. Dan Hillberg. ...Those six transferred to the A-Main.
BF says the track is racy in one and two, single file on the bottom in three & four.
Steve-O Reports at 4:47 PM
A-Main: Lap 3 - Yellow Flag - Henrichsen - flip, then Danny Sheridan rides a wheel coming out of two as drivers react to caution. "Shaken but not stirred".
- Running Order... 1. Elliott, 2. Davis, 3. English, 4. Rutherford, 5. Yeley.
- Steve-O says Kokomo, IN. driver, Elliott could be tough from the front. Elliott is looking for his 3rd career SCRA win.
- Kevin Urton, a two-time, USAC Western States Champ is in the pits, helping Damien Gardner
BF Reports at 4:53 PM
- A-Main: It is still under red on lap 3. Sheridan was late on the brakes, and flipped wildly. BF describes the flip... "Gyrating wildly, coming down on the nose"
- BF says that is 5th junked car Jarrett Chaney today. The sun is setting - still 22 laps to go.
BF Reports at 5:01 PM
- A-Main: Lap 6. YELLOW FLAG: Charles Davis running second "was taken out" by Mike English in turn three.
- Lap 6: Top 5: Elliott, 2. English, 3. Rutherford, 4. Yeley, 5. Tony Jones.
Steve-O Reports at PM 5:24
- A-Main: Lap 21 Red Flag - Jeremy Sherman gets into turn 3 in too hot, hit the fence, and turned over.
- The last two laps were "hectic".
- Running Order - 1. Yeley, 2. Rutherford, 3. Griffin, 4. Tony Jones, 5. John Scott, who has come from deep in the field.
- Revert back to lap 20. Five to go. Tirewear is a factor. It's a really good race.
- First day show ever at Perris. It is "extra windy".
Steve-O Reports at 5:35 PM
- A-Main: Yellow Turn four - Cary Faas spun out.
- 22 Down - 1. Yeley, 2. Rutherford, 3. Griffin, 4. Jones, 5. Scott, 6. Gardner.
- Lap 23 - Yellow again, for Kruseman who spun out trying to get past Damien Gardner for sixth. No Change in the top five. John Scott passed Tony Jones, put the yellow dismissed the pass.
- Gardner is keeping his tires cool on the yellow by running on the cushion.
- White Flag: Yeley, still leads. Tight for 2nd between Gasman, and Rutherford.
- J.J. Yeley wins.
BF Reports at 5:43 PM
- A-Main Results: 1. JJ Yeley, 2. Rutherford, 3. Griffin, 4. Tony Jones, 5. John Scott, 6. Damien Gardner (from 21st), 7. Levi Jones, 8. Bobby Graham, 9. Mike Kirby
- Lap six, Yellow Charles Davis running second was punted by English.
- Lap 15 - English pops right rear
- Lap 19 - Argo pops right rear and takes Rip Williams with him in a spin.
- Lap 20 - J.J. Yeley takes lead from Elliott, who backed way up.
- Lap 24 - Kruseman into Gardner, and Kruseman done.
Back to HammerDownUSA.com FRONT PAGE